Phoenix Office
Arizona Corporation Commission
1200 W. Washington St.
Phoenix, AZ 85007
(602) 542-4251
(800) 222-7000

Utilities Division
Steven M. Olea - Director

Tucson Office
Arizona Corporation Commission
400 W. Congress, Ste. 218
Tucson, AZ 85701
(520) 628-6550
(800) 535-0148


Consumer Services
En Español

What problems can the Utilities Division help me with?
Our Consumer Services Staff can investigate your inquiry or dispute if it concerns:

 Rates or charges
 Installations or disconnections (proposed or recent)
 Responsibility for a bill
 A request for a deposit
 Refusal of service by a utility
 The quality and type of utility service
 A utility's policies and procedures

Our Consumer Services Staff cannot help with inquiries or disputes concerning:
      Merchandise sold to you by a public utility
      Complaints against landlords/property owners concerning high bills or disconnection of service
      Complaints concerning bottled propane and/or oil companies
      Complaints regarding municipally-owned utilities
      Complaints related to cable television or satellite TV service
      Complaints related to internet service or providers

Consumer Complaint Process

You should always contact the utility first to see if they can help solve your problem. We cannot initiate a complaint on your behalf because we are not the accountholder. However, once you have attempted to resolve the issue directly, we will contact the utility to see if we can find a solution to your problem. We welcome your calls and will do our best to assist you.

Complaints can be submitted by telephone, letter, e-mail or in person. Depending on the complexity of the complaint, you may be required to submit a written summary of your dispute and provide supporting documents.

Step-by-Step Complaint Process

The First Step: If you have a complaint about a regulated utility, and have already attempted to resolve the issue with the utility, Consumer Services staff may be able to assist you.
You can also fill out the form below and send or e-mail it to the Arizona Corporation Commission and a representative from our Consumer Services Section will contact you. They will also contact the utility for their perspective on the complaint. Current rules allow the utility 5 days to respond to the Commission. Certain circumstances require expedited handling and the Consumer Services staff will know if this applies to your complaint.
If That Doesn't Work: If after filing an informal complaint you and the company have failed to reach an agreement, you and the utility may agree to arbitrate the issue before a representative of the Commission. At arbitration you and the utility will present your respective views and proposed remedies for the problem. The representative will write a non-binding decision reflecting what he or she believes is a fair resolution of the problem based in the information provided.
Filing a Formal Complaint: If mediation/arbitration is not the preferred method of resolution, the informal complaint may be escalated to a formal complaint. At the formal complaint level, the proceedings are much like a court case. You open your complaint by filing a detailed, written description of your dispute, what you have done to address the issues so far, the specific Commission rules or administrative codes you believe were violated and the specific resolution you are seeking.
You and the utility will testify in front of an administrative law judge. You should understand that the party filing the complaint bears the legal burden of proving its case. The judge will then prepare a recommendation for the Commissioners to review and provide copies to both you and the utility. The Commissioners will make a final decision on your case during a public open meeting.
How to Contact Us: To request help from the Arizona Corporation Commission, please call us at the numbers below between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Within Metro Phoenix: 602-542-4251
Within Metro Tucson: 520-628-6550

Outside the Metro Phoenix or Tucson areas, but within Arizona, call toll free

1-800-222-7000 connects you to the Phoenix Office and
1-800-535-0148 connects you to the Tucson Office

You may also fill out the Consumer Services Assistance Form by clicking on the words below. This form contains the basic information we will need to begin helping you. Please be as complete as possible in the space provided and e-mail the form to us.

Consumer Assistance Form
(Click on the above)


Instruction on how to file a "Motion to Intervene"

Public Comment Form

Instruction on how to file "Public Comments"


Quick Launch...